Since coming home to LA for the holidays, I have been asked many questions. Many of the questions are similar. Therefore, I thought it would be fun to do a Q&A session with myself. If this keeps people from asking me the same ol' questions in person, that would be great. But if I still get the same questions, I will not begrudge the questioner. I am honored that people even care about what's going on in my life and support me.Q: Where did you go? Vancouver or Toronto? Is there a time difference?
A: Vancouver. It is in the same time zone as those in California.
Q: Which classes did you take this past semester/quarter?
A: Regent College is neither on a semester nor quarter system. Each term consists of 12 weeks (with final examinations in the last week) and 2 reading weeks. I took (1) Old Testament Foundations, (2) Perspectives on Biblical Languages (Greek & Hebrew), and (3) Christian Thought & Culture.
Q: Do you live in the dormitories? How far do you live from campus? How are your living conditions? How far are you from Richmond?
A: Regent College does not have dormitories; it is a Christian graduate school (no undergrads). I live approximately 3 miles from the school, which is on the same campus as the University of British Columbia (UBC). It takes me about 10 minutes via bus to get to school. I sometimes walk as well, if the weather is nice and I have time. I live in a tiny basement suite with really great landlords who make me yummy Chinese soup every Wednesday. I am a 1-hour bus ride (with one transfer) to Richmond. I usually only go down to Richmond if I have a ride.
Q: Isn't the food great in Vancouver? Do you eat out a lot?
A: The food is good in Vancouver, but there are far more varieties and better prices in LA. Since I'm a poor seminarian, I rarely eat out. I mostly cook my own food for all 3 meals. It's nice that Regent provides microwave ovens and a refrigerator for students' use.
Q: What has been the hardest thing about living away from home?
A: Loneliness. I have made some friends in Vancouver, but it's hard not having my immediate family and close friends around. And it's particularly hard being in a city with which I am not tremendously familiar. And there's definitely a sense of loneliness in knowing that my American Republican perspectives are in the minority. I am still shocked when evangelical Christians tell me they like Clinton (either one).
Q: Were you homesick? What did you miss the most?
A: I was homesick the entire time. I missed my family, my friends, work and my church... and having a car. Oh... I also missed the sunshine.
Q: What have you learned so far?
A: I have gained a lot of knowledge in school and it has been really hard work. But the biggest lesson God has been teaching me lately is about dependence on Him. In LA, I could always count on my familiar surroundings, work, and friends and family to feel security and success. But in the last 3 months, I have not had these things as readily available, if at all. So, in turn, I have been "forced" to acknowledge my need for God. He is the reason I am doing what I'm doing, even if it makes no sense to many other people. I have continued to wrestle with Him about various things, but my trust is in Him.
Q: What degree are you pursuing? How long will it take? What do you plan on doing afterwards?
A: I am enrolled to pursue a Master of Christian Studies (MCS), but I am still trying to figure out which concentration to pursue. I am interested in several of them, but am waiting for God to reveal to me which one to declare. I should be done with the program in 2-3 years. My future is in God's hands. I may go back to being an event planner or I may even end up in full-time traditional church ministry. In God, the possibilities are limitless.
Q: Have you met a potential husband in Vancouver?
A: No... but thanks for asking, Uncle Phil. =)
If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask me through the "comments" section.
2 comments:
hey! How'd you do last semester? Hope you finished well..
sorry to hear about the loneliness... you still have friends just south of the border, and you still haven't visited Austin yet! Bring a gaggle down from school and visit us :)
Oh and re: the Clinton comment, welcome to the REAL left-coast. I haven't been a Republican for... about 7 yrs now...
sniff sniff... wahhhh... i can so relate to what you shared about the loneliness and again about why we do what we do. it's not EVEN in me to leave my family and friends. and i think to share it to some, they might think that following Christ is a burden. well, it ain't easy! but we do it because we love and trust Him. putting ourselves in that situation reminds us how hard it is not to rely upon His gifts but that we should rely upon Him alone! So hard!
Post a Comment