I have a stuffed orange dog named Fred. I take him everywhere with me. Fred has traveled the world with me... to Asia, to Europe, to Australia, across the country, to every family vacation, to youth camp, to church retreats… to Vancouver. There was a time when I was unable to sleep unless Fred was with me.
When asked about Fred’s history, I told people about having Fred since I was 2-years-old—a gift from a family friend. I never knew who that friend was… until recently.
While back in California this past time, I had the privilege of meeting this person. As it turns out, the story I have been telling everyone is false. Apparently, this wonderful orange dog was given to my older brother when he was born. At some point in time during our childhoods, I must have taken it (or even stolen it) from him.
I’m not sure where I got the story I’ve been telling people. Did I make it up as a child and believed it to be true? It’s funny how truth is lost in a child’s imagination and mere stories appear “true” even in adulthood.
I’m sorry for inadvertently lying to people.
2 comments:
Hey, it's not lying; you were telling the untruth. I think you stole it from your brother, and that's the story I'll tell others! :P
JC
HAHAHA. Hilarious.
Jessman is right though...at least you were truthful about the lie you tole. So it cancels out, right!? =P
Post a Comment