Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Now What?

After much thinking and worrisome thoughts, I decided to post a "Yes on Prop 8" video on this blog and on Facebook®. Although I did not receive any comments on this blog posting, I did receive several comments on Facebook®. Some comments affirmed my position, and some did not. There were also messages and a friend's posting on her own page that basically put down my position.

Although it was by a VERY narrow margin, Proposition 8 passed. Unless overturned by judges, California's state constitution will define marriage as only between a man and a woman. This is a bittersweet victory.

On the one hand, I am definitely glad that the majority of voters still adhere to the traditional definition of marriage. But it is sad that it is only be such a small margin—52% vs. 48% as of this posting.

The saddest thing, however, is that many Christians who pushed hardest for this proposition may now just sit back and enjoy the victory. However, it is my humble opinion that the hardest work should be taking place now. Many people, especially homosexual people, are feeling hurt and judged at this time. How do we, as Christians, express to others that they are very much loved?

How do we make church a welcoming place for them to fellowship—accepting them without endorsing their lifestyle? After all, if we limit church only to those without brokenness (especially sexual brokenness), most of us would not be allowed to step foot into a church building.

As hard as some church members pushed others to vote for Proposition 8, I pray that those same active church members will rally to strategically and lovingly show the public that Christians are not just an exclusive "holy huddle," but are people who believe in the example of Jesus Christ and will fellowship with those who are different from us. We are not better than the rest of God's created people. We just have been privileged to know Him... and don't we want others to know Him as well? If we stay within ourselves and just judge others, we're doing something very wrong.

May this loving of people who are different and think differently from us not only be an individual choice, but the choice of the entire church. May key leaders (lay and pastoral) step up in love and not cower for fear that other congregants will disagree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a succinct and beautiful reflection of the aftermath of Prop 8. I echo your sentiment. (I only wish that I had seen the video on youtube that you sent earlier). The other side has already started their hard work to overturn this. Our side seems to be very quiet and complacent. Now what? How do we invite these people into our midst when our circles of friends are mostly Christians? Maybe we should give money to continue TV ads of a different approach?? To explain our position on a more 'loving' basis so they do not feel alienated and judged?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Eunice. I'm glad CA has stood firm on marriage, though the cost in the perception of Christ/Christians in society is high (i.e. "judgmental", "meddlesome morality", etc).

I've said this before and I'll say it again: For the sake of the Gospel--God transforming the lives of all people--Christians should accompany campaigning for Prop 8 with compassion for homosexuals. We should consider supporting HIV/AIDS research, HIV/AIDS patient care and STDs, and counseling centers (like Exodus International or Desert Streams). Voting is easy. A loving witness is hard. But that is the only real battle. And frankly, we've barely lifted a finger in the real fight.