Saturday, January 17, 2009

Some Nicknames Aren't Permanent

Since moving to Vancouver, I have received the nickname Pocahontas from new friends of various circles. I suppose it had to do with my dark complexion and long hair. At first, I was a little indignant because I'm not a 13-year-old girl who ran off with a 35-year-old man who came to invade my people's land. But, I quickly got over such foolishness when people merely meant the nickname as a compliment because they were thinking about the 1995 Disney film. In fact, I was getting so used to the nickname that I actually answered when people called me Pocahontas.

Last Friday, just before leaving LA, my mom insisted that I cut my hair (because she's convinced that I'm going bald due to the heaviness of my hair). So, I let her take me to her hairdresser, Annie of Annie Hair Design. I took off well over a foot of hair to donate to Locks of Love or Pantene Beautiful Lengths (I haven't decided yet). This is the 4th time I've cut my hair for donation. Usually, after initially getting my hair cut, I am in shock and don't like it at all. This time, however, I love it. My mom's hairdresser is really good.

When I returned to Vancouver, many friends were disappointed to find that I am no longer Pocahontas.

Sorry. Nicknames based on appearance aren't permanent.

2 comments:

Albert said...

Nice first reaction to your nickname - never thought of it from that angle. =) Haha

Wow...you do have very LONG hair! At least it's easier to maintain now.

As for nicknames, you're right that they are not permanent. We'll just come up with new ones along the way. ;)

Tammy said...

Hey, it looks cute! I don't think long hair can make you get bald, though. Maybe it's the stress of school? At any rate, you still look beautiful as ever! :D