Have I been called to the mission field? I have a passion for missions and a strong desire to see people come to a saving knowledge of God, but I definitely do not have the gift of evangelism. In fact, when people ask me about God, I get all tongue-tied. This is strange because I definitely have a talent for gabbing.Or have I already been bibilcally called to missions? Afterall, Jesus commanded all His people, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20).
So, maybe my question shouldn't be, "Have I been called to go?" Perhaps my question ought to be, "Have I been called to stay?" Have I specifically been called to stay as a sender? As a welcomer? As a mobilizer?
If I am not called to stay, shouldn't I be "going"?
I'm not sure if I'm being theologically correct here. I guess I'll learn more in seminary, but I'm curious about what others might think.
*FINE PRINT: I don't mean to say that the mission field must include traveling overseas or far away from home. Each person, in obedience to God, must decide for himself where his mission field is.
4 comments:
In my understanding, the nature of church is missional because it comes out of the heart of God (what the fancy types call Missio Dei). To me, this means we need to avoid the typical institutional terminology which implies someone "does missions" while others play some sort of support role. It also means we need to come to grips with the fact that we already exist "on the field," and need to do ministry here in the N. America like any foreign missionary does.
Now you got me started!
Yes, I agree that we should already be existing "on the field," but are we really treating our lives (work, school, social networks, daily activities) really as being "on the field"? My feeling is that many people (including myself) don't it or at least not often enough.
But to ring another tune, do we avoid overseas or far-off missions because we've convinced ourselves that we have not been called to do so? Do we exist in the mentality that we will just go along with our happy and convenient lives unless God bonks us over the head and tells us to do otherwise?
On another point, I don't believe senders, welcomers or mobilizers are playing mere "support roles." They are key players... that's why it's so important to take those roles seriously and not just by default. And... I fully believe that we can play different roles during different times in our lives or even sometimes at the same time.
I've come to realize more and more that each role is equally important. Whether you are going, actively sending, or actively supporting through prayer and financial means, you are involved in missions.
But I understand where you are coming from saying that people use excuses to not go overseas. Still, I defer to re-read what you wrote: "Each person, in obedience to God, must decide for himself where his mission field is."
I couldn't have said it better myself. =)
Victor,
In the matter of importance, I agree with you in that I don't think there are actual rankings. But in my heart and thoughts, I value active senders, welcomers and mobilizers even more than those who actually "go." The reason is because it requires them to take an even more difficult step than packing up their bags and going to another place. They must often remain physically exactly where they are and make conscious choices everyday or at least regularly to send out missionaries through prayer and finances, welcome back missionaries or immigrants, and/or mobilize potential active missionaries. I think this takes even more discipline, passion, obedience and faith than those who physically leave. When you leave for missions, you're place in a situation where it's hard to forget your role because of the surroundings around you, and when you're obedient, the fruits are often much obvious than for those who are active back home.
However, too often I've heard people say that they should not or cannot go on a missions trip because they "have not been called" (I've used this excuse myself), but I think this is sooooooooo wrong.
Post a Comment