We seem more comfortable in venting with each other and counseling with each other, rather than just crying out to God, "Help us!"
Why?
And how do we move beyond this?
Last month, I came up with some guidelines for group praying. Here they are... let me know what y'all think...
- Be prepared. If you know you will be praying with others, prepare yourself. Prepare spiritually by spending time on your own in prayer and in the Scriptures beforehand. Also prepare yourself mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Be conscious of time. Start on time and end on time. Sharing time should not surpass praying time. Don’t talk so much that you don’t give others a chance to talk. Likewise, don’t hesitate to share.
- Do not share prayer items about other people unless they are particularly heavy upon your heart. Sharing outside people’s prayer requests may inadvertently turn into gossip or just spreading information.
- Listen to the heart of the sharer. It is important to know “the information,” but it is more important to understand the feelings. Even if you don’t completely understand the situation, you can still try to empathize with him/her.
- Leave advice and discussion for after prayer. When we give advice or discuss situations before praying, we are telling others and God that we know how to solve the problem without Him. During prayer, be open to God’s calling as He may give you or someone else guidance. If God has spoken to you, be sure to share with the other person.
- Keep confidentialities. So that all will feel more comfortable being vulnerable, prayer items (requests or praises) should not be shared with others outside the group. Unless otherwise told by the sharer, all prayer items are confidential.
- Pray simply from your heart. There is no need for lengthy or mystical Christian jargon. There is no need to “tell God what to do”. When we’re helpless in how to pray, we would be wise to remember the prayer of a desperate mother: “Lord, help me!” (Matthew 15:25).
- Don’t forget to praise and give thanks. God is not Santa Claus just waiting to fulfill our various requests, wants and needs. God desires to be glorified. He has given and done so much; let us not forget. If you pray with a regular group, remember to update them on answered prayers and ongoing prayer items.
7 comments:
I'd say make Number 8 the first one. We don't spend enough time in praise and we don't teach ourselves to start with that.
Number 2 - focus on lifting up the church, not the indivduals.
I think we as a church focus too much on the individual and not on the church as corporate. That's what makes the prayer time that we share down here so rich. We focus on what God is doing at church and where he needs to move. We then have personal prayer afterwards. When you do that, the rest of your list becomes somewhat less important.
Daryl, I think it's definitely important to lift up the church in prayer, but if the church is not particularly heavy on someone's heart, those prayers may just be hollow words. Also, I would not disregard our human heart struggles to pray only for the church. Another issue with only focusing on the church tends to turn prayer requests into a pseudo-announcement time. But, you're right in that we don't praise enough. Thanks for your input! :)
Hi, Eunice,
Are you sure you were not at my prayer meeting? Haha!
How else would you know that's exactly what we do? :o)
Thanks for the guideline. it makes a lot of sense, I'll share it with my prayer group if it's ok with you.
Love,
Sharon
Hey, way to give your vent some constructive guidelines.
Personally, those "rules" are best done in conversation with those you pray with...I get antsy when people start talking about guidelines too much. I wouldn't want to lose the messy, dangerous work we do in prayer.
Jesse,
I think the guidelines are as they are... guidelines. They are to demonstrate the importance of praying, not to belittle it. When the Spirit moves us to pray otherwise, we should not say, "Oh, but that's not on the guidelines." Guidelines keep our human tendancies from straying too much. After all, God provides guidelines to communing
with him as well... when to sacrifice a bird and when to sacrifice a calf... how to do it... etc.
Praying IS dangerous, and all things dangerous need guidelines.
I really liked it when we would pray and share when Kelley was still here. Popcorn prayer helps us hone in on the heart of the prayer request. Remember? Just don't pop too long! :D
Good discussion, eunice and others. ;)
Tammy, I like the "popcorn" style too. Here's a question... How do you popcorn when you're the "closer" but not ready to close yet? I guess it's just a logistical thing, but I sometimes feel trapped when I'm the designated "closer." But the plus side to being the closer is that you can control the timing. :)
Post a Comment