I attended New Student Orientations at Regent College last week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Since I missed orientations at UCLA years ago, I was really excited about this. Here are some of the highlights from my perspective:OPENING PRAYER. The opening prayer consisted of a petition for God to help us adjust to a new life in Vancouver and for solace as we grieve the people/things we left behind. The part that brought me to tears was "God is comfortable with grief."
FLAG PROCESSIONAL. Since Regent is such an international school, they had a processional of various countries' flags. When the flag for the United States of America was brought in, I was moved to tears... I'm very patriotic!
HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL. This introduction of Regent's history was done by the president of the school. It was very interesting. It was comforting to know that the school's beginnings were not easy. Because of that, community is a core value of the school. If anyone is interested in knowing why the school is called Regent College, please be sure to ask me. I love the simplicity of the story, but will leave it out of the blog for fear that I may not be totally accurate in my retelling. To read the less humorous version of the school's history, please click here.
NEW PEOPLE. I met some pretty cool people so far. Since I'm not tremendously extroverted, I'm very glad people have taken the initiative to talk with me. I met a guy with whom we have a mutual friend. I met a girl with my same name. I met several people from LA. I met a couple who reminds me so much of Jason and Debbie. I hope to make and develop more friendships. Please pray that God will help me to find people with whom I can share openly and be accountable.
WELCOME TO CANADA. A professor shared about the history of Canada and what makes it special as a country. It was a very humorous and interesting talk. I realize, that as an American, I know very little about our northern neighbor. It seems that they know a lot more about us than we know about them. They actually have a year of American history in high school, but our history books cover very little about Canada. But then again, they never had to fight for their independence... but was "released" by the British because they became too financially high maintenance. Haha.
Well, classes start this week. If I have time and energy, I'll blog about classes later on. Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement.
2 comments:
Hey, what do I keep telling you about the derogatory statements about Canada? Keep them to yourself! =)
Seriously though, I'm VERY glad you're meeting people and have been moved thus far by the school, the people, and, of course, the flag.
Me too, I'm glad you met some people you have in common with already :) I hope you're having fun with the Lews. Miss Eu.
Post a Comment