Monday, September 24, 2007

Post-Retreat Reflections

This past weekend (September 21-23) was Regent College's annual retreat in Stanwood, WA at the Warm Beach Conference Center, which is neither warm nor a beach. Before attending, I had mixed feelings. I was worried about all the studying I still needed to do, but wouldn't be able to do during the retreat. I was worried that I would feel lonely in the midst of people whom I didn't know. But I also wanted to go to get to know people and experience the retreat. And it was definitely a plus to be back on American soil.

All in all, I had a pretty good time. With the theme of "Surprised by God: from Fear to Longing," Phil and Polly Long talked about Moses' life as well as their own lives. I met a ton of people, most of whom I cannot remember names nor faces. Bek and I shared a long walk and conversation early Saturday morning. I enjoyed a long trail run in solitude during the afternoon. I was "wowed" by the talents of individuals at Saturday night's Talent Show... especially tickled into fits of laughter by John Stackhouse and his band. And let's not forget about cheering on the kids while they played "newspaper hockey" -- Go Team 2! We're twice as good as Team 1!!

However, my favorite part of this weekend was actually the ride down and back up with Samuel, Rebecca and Dave. It was so much fun talking with them about everything from Canadian and American politics to childhood experiences.

I am very glad to be back home in Vancouver, but also feel blessed to have attended the retreat. Now... I guess it's time to get back to studying again!
I was too lazy to take photos, so I only have one to show... the sunset on Saturday evening. I got to enjoy it thanks to Bek who pointed it out to me.

No comments: