Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Third Home

My first home is Los Angeles. Since August 2007, Vancouver has become my second home. And with flying between the two cities, the airports are now my third home.

Once again, I find myself sitting in the Vancouver International Airport (YVR). Even the customs agent I had today remembered that I was from LA before I handed him my passport and customs form! He told me that he will soon remember my name! (For those of you who don't know... when flying from Canada to the States, U.S. customs is in the Canadian airport before even boarding the plane.)

Today, I have extra time in my third home. I was going to take the bus to the airport, which would have taken over an hour, but my landlord insisted on driving me. Therefore, it only took 20 minutes to get to the airport. Furthermore, I just checked my flight status and it seems that my flight is delayed by 34 minutes.

That gives me extra time to sit in the Alaska Airlines Boardroom before I have to get to the departure gate.

Someone told me recently that she has such a busy life that traveling by plane is the only time she gets to slow down (sitting in an airport waiting for a flight and sitting in a plane). I'm beginning to feel that way about my life too.

How ironic! Traveling is the one thing that can slow down life. Anyone else find this odd?
By the way, YVR is the only airport I know of that is advertisement-free. I love it. It's so beautiful... especially the aboriginal displays that you walk past when you first arrive at the airport before going through Canadian customs.



3 comments:

Victor said...

If there's something good about Canada, it's that its scenic areas are extremely clean and its public buildings (like airports) are much nicer than ours too.
Still, I would never live there.

Tammy said...

Today on NPR I heard a guy talking about how he is trying to save money what with the high gas prices and all. He said that he walks to the store and rides his bike to work now and that it has caused him to slow down a bit. He has found that it forces him to enjoy the moment rather than just rushing to the next thing. I kind of like that idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eunice...it seems like a long while since I last visited your blog. hahaa.... u are definitely a frequent traveler now. I hear what you say. Sometimes the waiting area at the airport is where you can slow down and catch up with life; and the plane ride is where you can catch up with sleep!

-BD