Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Missing the Obvious

I'm back in LA for a visit.

Last week, I decided to go visit Debbie and her new baby. Since it was around lunchtime, Debbie asked me to go to In-N-Out to pick up lunch. When I arrived at In-N-Out, I pulled up to the drive-thru window. When I got to the window, the guy looked at me and I looked at him. Neither of us said a word for a few seconds.

Finally, it dawned upon me that I had completely missed the speaker box where I was supposed to place my order. The poor guy at the window was probably trying to figure out what to say to me. By this time, two other cars had already pulled up behind me, so I could not back up. So, I apologized profusely—providing some lame excuse about being from Vancouver. (Drive-thru's are not common in Vancouver proper, and I don't have a car there.)

I felt so stupid. I had literally forgotten how to use a drive-thru!

The guy kindly took my order at the window... probably still puzzled. After I got my order and drove out, I noticed the big bold words on the speaker box, "PLACE ORDER HERE". Talk about missing the obvious!

1 comment:

Karen Chung said...

You're better than me. At one time I drove too fast and actually way pass the drive-thru cashier window. I ended up have to drive around before I get back to the window again to pay.